Saturday, February 9, 2008

Hello, Houston. We May Have a Solution!

After some intense days of coding and digging around, I may have come up with the answer to my quandary.

The goal was to be able to write, format, and present web-based information as painlessly and productively as possible. The design parameters were: decent formatting (easy markup if not actually WYSIWYG), active hyperlinking, multi-page documents in a single-file format, browser-based delivery, cross-platform production (if possible). I really wanted a mode-less way of working, so that you could jump on a link right in the editor window, and go to the link's target. ZuluPad works that way, but falls short on formatting and graphics handling.

I just found a WYSIWYG HTML editor that fills the bill. It's not mode-less, but it has a very accessible (one click on a tab) Preview function that makes up for that minor inadequacy. I'll put together a demo to show what I have in mind, and give the new tool a good wringing out in the process. It ain't perfect, folks, but it will do quite nicely until The Perfect Tool comes along!

No comments: